Frequently Asked Questions – Solid Wood Floor
+What is Solid Wood Floor made of?
Solid wood floor materials usually appears in the form of wooden planks of various species imported from different countries e.g. Burmese Teak imported from Burma, Merbau originated from tropical forests in Malaysia or Indonesia, Oak from America and so on. These wood planks comes in different thickness (10 ~22mm), width (50~150mm) and in random lengths. They are all kiln dried to suit Malaysian climate and can be in the form of square edge or moulded into tongue & groove (T&G).
+How do I know a solid floor is of good quality ?
There are many factors that will affect the quality and performances of solid wood floor
- Different wood species have their own properties, e.g. density, stability, strength, wood grain appearance etc.
- Preventive works against water seepage through bathrooms, windows, doors during the building construction stage
- Workmanship and Method of installation of the solid wood
- Sanding and varnishing skill including the type of coating materials used
Rimaju provides the best solid wood floor as follows:
- We will recommend and proposed the best wood species and product to suite your need
- Our trained personnel will provide advise and guidance to you even at the design or construction stage to ensure trouble free wood floor in future.
- T&G Floor strips will be installed by our professional team by using patented VBS (ventilated batten system) with Prematech Nails imported from Canada.
- The completed floor will be varnished with Swedish imported water based Bona products and sanded with European imported high precision sanding machines.
+What is the warranty for Solid Wood floor?
Solid wood being a naturally durable material, no worries of wear through or discoloration, therefore no warranty is required for the natural materials. We provide one year warranty on problems as a result of defective installation workmanship!
+Is Solid Wood floor Termite proof?
Yes ! All our solid wood materials are either treated or naturally durable against termite. We provide 10 years warranty against termite provided they are installed by our authorized installers and installed in accordance to our specifications.
+Is Solid Wood Floor Water Proof?
Water will not damage the wood floor materials, but wood will expand when subject to moisture. The extent of expansion depends of the amount of moisture and the species of wood involved. Avoid excessive moisture is the best option for you to enjoy lifelong wood floor.
+Is Solid Wood Floor suitable for Ground Floor areas?
Yes, provided that it is laid strictly in accordance with our laying instructions and moisture barrier is provided.
+What is the requirement for the base to receive Solid Wood Floor?
The base to receive solid wood floor must be reasonably flat! Deflection exceeding 3mm per meter long is considered not suitable for solid wood floor to be laid on top.
+How is Solid Wood Floor installed?
Solid wood floor must be laid on clean, dry and reasonably flat base of solid materials such as concrete or plywood. Basically there are two main methods,
- Wood floor can be glued directly on the base; or
- Nailed on closely spaced wood battens that is securely fixed on the base.
The bare uncoated floor will then be sanded using high precision sanders followed by application coating materials.
+How long it will take to install my flooring?
It takes about a week to lay a standard double storey house with staircase. Usually it will take 5 days to install 500 sf Solid Wood Floor.
+How to maintain Solid Wood Floor?
Maintenance of Solid Wood Floor in simple and easy. Vacuum followed by mopping is the most common method, but always avoid excessive moisture when mopping any wood floor.
+Will the floor get scratched easily?
Not at all provided the floor is not scratched by sharp and hard objects like iron nails. Normal chair castors or shoes will not scratch the floor. Further, there are coating materials of various scratch resistance available from us, e.g. Bona Novia for residential use, Bona Maga for Light Commercial and heavy residential use and Bona Traffic for heavy commercial applications.
+Can I install Solid Wood Floor on my existing floor covering (Carpet, Tiles, Solid Wood Floor)?
Yes with the exception of carpet and provided that the tiles, wood floor beneath the new floor is still in sound, solid and dry condition.